BackgroundAmidst a backdrop of worldwide ecological and seismological chaos in the mid-2100s, the United States has been split in two by the "Great Flood". As a result of the polar ice cap melting, the Mississippi River has destroyed the central portion of the United States, causing an ill-equipped Federal Government to fail and literally cutting the country in half. These two halves are left to fend for themselves in the aftermath.
The East, now known as the Atlantic Alliance, symbolic of their union with Europe, puts its faith in surviving this new world in cybernetics, an established yet evolving technology now more than 150 years old. On the other side of the flooded continent, the Western states, now called the Republic of Pacifica and having allied with Asia, resort to solving their problems at the genetic level, effectively restructuring the DNA of its inhabitants -- a method the Atlantic Alliance finds morally reprehensible.
By 2161, it only takes a hint of unauthorized military preparation in Pacifica for the newly restored president to order a strike in the heart of Pacifican territory -- an outpost in the now dry San Francisco Bay. This strike leads to the unthinkable: an epic conflict with global implications fought on U.S. soil. As a soldier in this struggle, Mason Briggs uses explosive, terrain-deforming weaponry to change the face of battle: He not only destroys the land in his path, he outright transforms it to gain the strategic advantage in completely unscripted ways no game has ever seen. With such a devastating arsenal at hand, Briggs never leaves any battlefield the way he found it.
GameplayIn addition to extraordinary weaponry that allows players to do things previously only imagined, each side of the conflict, Pacifica and the Atlantic Alliance, boast soldiers with powers beyond those of ordinary men. Genetic augmentations provide Pacifican forces with amazing abilities, while Atlantic Alliance soldiers like Briggs counter the threat with the more "traditional" method: cybernetics. The differing states of superhumanity result in balanced yet stylistically different combat tactics that have never been seen before.
- Reshape the battlefield with terrain-shattering weapons: Experience a dynamic battlefield that is unique every time you play. Use weapons to fracture, crater, freeze, or elevate the earth. Raise and lower terrain to provide cover, discover hidden pathways, and mold the war zone to your own advantage.
- Experience a story of betrayal and revenge: Follow the journey of a patriotic Atlantic Alliance soldier when an act of treason launches him into the battlefield, as forces wage a battle of genetics vs. cybernetics. In a war that divides loyalties and tests the bonds of country and family, this soldier's discoveries will ultimately decide the fate of North America and perhaps the world.
- Play online: Choose the side of the genetically enhanced Pacificans or the cybernetically powerful Atlantic Alliance, then jump online and exploit your side's advantages as terrain deformation and combat elements allow for endless hours of fun.
- Fight for control of familiar locations and landmarks: The last World Wars were fought in Europe, but the next great global war will be fought on American soil. Battle in famous locations across the United States. Defend the Atlantic Alliance in Washington, DC, fight the decisive battle for control of Pacifica in the basin of the now-empty San Francisco bay and uncover the secret that will determine the world's fate in the Southwest Desert.
SAFCDavid and 7 others own Fracture
deadguy56 played Fracture
- Genre: Action Shooter (PS3)
- Theme(s): Post-Apocalyptic, Sci-Fi (Futuristic)
- Perspective(s): First Person,Third Person
- Developer: Day 1 Studios
- Publisher: LucasArts
Released North America Oct 7, 2008 Europe Oct 10, 2008 Japan Oct 30, 2008 Australia Oct 15, 2008