BackgroundMercenaries is a revolutionary third-person combat-action game that delivers the next level of free-form gameplay in massive interactive environments. The game gives players the opportunity to take on the role of a soldier for hire in an open-ended world. Mercenaries is set in North Korea in the near future, where a coup has plunged the troubled nation into chaos. An elite private military company, Executive Operations, has dispatched a mercenary to track down the "deck of 52" fugitive members of the old hardliner regime - before they can launch a nuclear attack. The nonstop action within Mercenaries is heightened by the integration of the Havok physics engine, making everything within the environment act and react as it would in real life.
In the game, players choose to be one of three mercenaries: an American ex-soldier, a British secret agent, or a Swedish bounty hunter. Each playable character has unique strengths and weaknesses that affects gameplay. For example, characters demonstrate increased expertise such as stealth, speed, or sniping allowing for unique interactions with the international factions, including China, North Korea, and the Russian Mafia. Players choose to make enemies or form alliances with these factions in order to obtain new vehicles and weaponry and unlock new bonus missions that are specific to each faction.
GameplayMercenaries takes on a free-roam approach to the battlefield, from the beginning of the game you are free to go around and continue in the game by accepting contracts, or perhaps you could go out and get some cash by collecting bounties, or anything. You are free to steal cars, jeeps, tanks, APC's and even helicopters, there are over 20 weapons including anit-air RPG's, SMG's and Sniper Rifles. Every contract offers a diverse and original objective, adding new elements of gameplay each time, in one mission you might be required to fend off enemies platoons and you can do so by any means necessary, so really you are welcome to find your own diverse and original ways of completing contracts.
- Take control of one of three different mercenaries: Chris Jacobs, Matthias Nilsson or Jennifer Mui. Each has their own personality.
- Use more than 20 combat weapons, including Light Machine Guns, Anti-Armor Rifles, Suppressed Submachine Guns, and Assault Rifles.
- Hijack and commandeer over 50 realistic vehicles, including Attack Helicopters, Main Battle Tanks, Armored Personnel Carriers, Civilian Sports Cars, and Armed Pick-up Trucks.
- Use hard-earned money on better weapons, powerful vehicles, or devastating airstrikes. You can also sell vehicles on the Mafia-supported Black Market.
- Earn prestige among factions by doing "dirty work" for them, or betray them at will. Your career as a mercenary is in your hands.
- Destroy everything in sight! An enhanced engine drive and ragdoll graphics allow for unparalled destruction.
- Do what you want! Be it completing contracts for different factions or free-riding through the countryside, there will always be something to do. Unlockables and collectibles contribute to the replay value.
Hardware Requirements8MB Playstation 2 Memory Card required
590KB minimum space needed to save
Analog Control Compatible: All Buttons
Vibration Function Compatible
Official URLOfficial Site
- Mercenaries Redux Apr 26
- Ragdoll Effect Dec 26
- "Bad" language Dec 26
- Having problems hijacking the chopper in Get Solano Dec 26
Trev_GFC and 71 others own Mercenaries
Frankentoke and 22 others played Mercenaries
ShadowPawEveryones saying this one was better than its sequel, so if i cant put the sequel down, what will happen with this one? Mercenaries Xbox
Jun 24, 09 1:28pm
CrimmondBlow the crap out of North Korea. And get paid to do it. Hell yes. Mercenaries Xbox
Jun 15, 09 7:21pm
crackheadtrentReally good, destructive enviroments and interesting missions. Mercenaries Xbox
Aug 04, 08 5:27am
- Genre: Shooter (PS2)
- Theme(s): Military, Sci-Fi (Futuristic), Espionage/Secret Ops
- Perspective(s): Third Person
- Developer: Pandemic Studios
- Publisher: LucasArts
Released North America Jan 11, 2005 Europe Feb 18, 2005 Japan Q4 2004