BackgroundThe War in Vietnam has become one of the most significant political events of the sixties. After World War II military technologies got a new impulse and started developing quickly. One of the most noticeable changes was the all-round usage of military helicopters. Even now, after 40 years, the image of a Huey helicopter is one of the most typical associations with the War in Vietnam and almost every movie dedicated to this topic features these machines.
Whirlwind of Vietnam is a helicopter sim that depicts the most famous episodes of the war in a movie-style way. The main events of the game are well-known to the audience due to famous books and movies dedicated to the War such as We Were Soldiers, Apocalypse Now, Hamburger Hill and many others.
GameplayPlayers will have a chance to pilot the helicopter (a gunship featuring maneuverability and fire power) and perform different types of tasks including attack and destroy, infantry support, rescue and many others. Gamers will be able to choose between different aircrew members at any time becoming the pilot or gunner as the AI takes over any unmanned positions. Flexibility is key as multiple settings allow varied flight behavior for the helicopter from realistic to arcade.
Whirlwind of Vietnam features all the major weapons and military equipment of that period, both air and land from firearms, grenade launchers and artillery to planes and vehicles on both sides of the conflict.
- Story based on the events of the military campaign in the Ia Drang Valley in November 1965
- Different positions in the helicopter crew - pilot, co-pilot, gunner
- Unprecedented level of details - helicopters, vehicles, equipment, human models and environment
- Various mission types: fire support, fire coordination, enemy search and destroy
- Autopilot mode allows to change view and watch the course of the game
- Engine-powered cut-scenes
- Real Vietnam locations
- Persistent non-playable characters accompanying player (crew), skills development
Hardware RequirementsOperating System: Windows XP
Processor: Pentium IV 2 GHz
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Video card: 3D video adapter with 128 MB RAM
Hard disc: 2 GB HDD free space (+ 500 MB for a swap file of Windows and game saves)
CD ROM: 4x DVD-ROM drive