BackgroundIn the 16th century, Japan is divided into several warring armies. Each army ruler is trying to accomplish one ultimate goal: to inherit the legendary title of Shogun. With Japan divided into 7 huge factions, along with many many armies of Rebels attempting to overthrow each ruler, it is up to the player to win the war, not just with brute strength on the battlefield. But also with strategic planning in finding ways to kill the general, or Daimyo, by either cornering him on the map and forcing him to attempt a fight, or sending ninjas behind enemy lines to attempt assasinations. Do what you like. Build your empire, and then wipe all the other armies and rebels off the face of the map. As they say in the game. . ."Let total war, begin!"
GameplayCampaign mode allows you to move around your armies, in the form of game pieces, around the map. Invade enemy territories, send emmisaries to make alliances with other factions, send stealth-using ninjas to assasinate army generals, and build up your whole empire from scratch, and take over Japan one province at a time. Each move you make on the map will count for a whole season, and when you finish your move, other armies make theirs', and the season ends. When you decide you want to invade enemy provinces and try to fight for their land, you'll instantly begin an epic real time strategy battle with the opposite army. Their are over a dozen different soldier types, including a Yari Samurai, who hold long spears and are useful for defense, No-Dachi Samurai, who hold two handed swords and are a strong unit for offensive moves, and even horseback riding soldiers such as the Heavy Cavalry, who hold swords on horseback. And then of course you also have archers, perfect at taking out enemies from a distance. Over 10,000 soldiers are able to be on screen at once, and with a very good custom battle system, you can make some very epic battles on this game.
- Total Warfare: A unique combination of strategic decisions and intense real-time action on the battlefield will take you deeper into this savage historical period than you ever believed possible.
- The Art of War: Use the wisdom of Sun Tzu to master the strengths and weaknesses of your units as well as assess the tactical effects of formations, moral, fatigue, terrain, weather, and fortifications.
- Epic Battles Made Easy: Control massive armies with thousands of Samurai on full 3-D landscapes. Watch huge armies perform intricate battlefield maneuvers with a simple click of the mouse.
- In-Depth Strategy: Develop your economy from the ground up, forge trade relationships, and strategic alliances, conduct espionage and order assassinations.
- The Game: The main game is divided into two main game sections. Turn-based strategy map: In addition to taking the role of commander-in-chief of your armies, you must also manage the wealth of your lands, construct defences and dojos, train your men and balance alliances with rival Daimyo while you wait for the right time to strike. Season by season, you must use Ninja, Shinobi and other strategic units to gain every advantage and so take Japan region by region.
- Real-Time Battles: When armies from different clans come to occupy the same region in the same season, you will experience war as it occurred in the 16th century. It is bloody, but it is also glorious, with a strict code of honour that must be adhered to if you are to overcome your enemies. With an intuitive yet richly diverse interface you can command thousands of men on the battlefield. Warfare has never been experienced on a grander or more epic scale.
- Historical Battle Mode: Recreate some of feudal Japan's greatest battles. The simulations have been constructed using the expertise of some of the period's leading historical authorities.
- Custom Battles: Engage in a fully-customisable single battle.
- Internet/LAN Multiplayer: Chat on-line to form Clans with other warlords then take armies of thousands into battle against real-life players from around the globe.
Official URLOfficial Site
- Its not right! Oct 21
- Game freezes in campaign mode. Mar 4
- Historical campagin mode (Hideyoshi) - Odawara battle Sep 20
- enter cheats Sep 4
Inoksvere and 15 others own Shogun: Total War
Inoksvere and 1 others played Shogun: Total War
Sep 03, 04 10:46am
My friend John showed me this game not too long ago, I picked up quick on it and...
May 28, 02 3:17pm
It is the war of the century. Japan is in a civil war! We must act fast if we wish to...
- Genre: WarGames (PC)
- Theme(s): Military, Historical, Ancient Cultures
- Perspective(s): Third Person
- Developer: Creative Assembly
- Publisher: Electronic Arts
Released North America Jun 14, 2000
- Total War: Attila
- Total War: Rome II
- Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai
- Total War: Shogun 2
- Napoleon: Total War - The Peninsular Campaign
- Napoleon: Total War
- Empire: Total War
- Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms
- Medieval II: Total War
- Rome: Total War - Alexander
- Rome: Total War Barbarian Invasion
- Rome: Total War
- Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion
- Medieval: Total War
- Shogun: Total War - Warlord Edition
- Shogun: Total War
- Empire: Total War - The Warpath Campaign