BackgroundThe Banner Saga is a role-playing game merged with turn-based strategy, wrapped into an adventure mini-series about vikings.
Travel through stunning landscapes straight out of an animated film. Battle painstakingly hand-animated foes in strategic, turn-based combat harkening back to the classic "Tactics" days of gaming. Make decisions with consequences in conversations with people you'll truly care about.
And throughout the whole thing record the history of your people on your banner where it will be remembered, because soon there might not be anything left.
The Banner Saga is a mature game aimed at gamers who appreciate art, story and strategy.
Game PlayIt's not about defeating the villain and saving the day. It's not about grinding to get past the next fight. The Banner Saga throws you into the end of the world and asks "how do you deal with this"?
- DRM-Free, and available on PC and Mac
- Not another generic fantasy: Drawing heavily from Norse culture while creating its own identity and mythology, The Banner Saga takes a low-fantasy approach to viking themes. Giants: yes. Horned helmets: no.
- Strategic combat: Recruit a large roster of unique characters throughout the story, each with different abilities that interact in combat in a deeply tactical way and personalities of their own. The Banner Saga harkens back to classic turn-based gameplay with a strong emphasis on tactics over brute force and endless grinding.
- Travel across gorgeous landscapes: The choices you make as events arise have a huge affect on how the story plays out- who survives, who dies, and what's worth saving. Add people to your caravan as you travel, or lose them when tough decisions arise. You're not just fighting to save nameless strangers, you're fighting for your neighbors, your family and your way of life. We want you to care what happens to them.
- An emphasis on story: Your choices in dialogue and throughout the game truly affect the story and the people around you. A mature story for adults means forming relationships and making tough decisions; not sex, violence and swearing.
- Play online: Though the single-player campaign is our focus, The Banner Saga provides a deep multiplayer game; build a unique party of characters and battle friends and enemies in multiplayer combat. Upgrade your party over time and devise new strategies.
- Risk in gameplay: A lot of modern games play it safe- you know you'll defeat the evil and save the day. In The Banner Saga you can't take anything for granted. We want it to feel like a good tv mini-series; the world doesn't revolve around you, it's about how you deal with change.
- Viking RPG and Kickstarter hit 'The Banner Saga' goes mobile this summer, more languages Jun 27
- The Banner Saga now available DRM-free to Kickstarter backers, in case you passed on Steam Feb 12
- My impressions of The Banner Saga upon beating it (video) Jan 29
- Banner Saga developer announces plans for new 'Saga' game despite King's trademark Jan 23
The Banner Saga might be one of the more strategy games we've had in a long time, for many... posted Jun 26, 14 11:27am
A Kickstarter success story, The Banner Saga has been out for nearly a month now via Steam. The... posted Feb 12, 14 5:20pm
Candy Crush Saga developer King has turned out to be a corporate bully, trademarking posted Jan 23, 14 2:53pm
Update: King has released the following statement in regards to this case: “King has... posted Jan 21, 14 2:56pm
Like watching our writers suffer? Our livestream of The Banner Saga continues now. Yes, this is... posted Jan 17, 14 3:50pm
Our Banner Saga adventures begin again today, in just a few minutes. So far, we've heard many... posted Jan 16, 14 3:35pm
The Banner Saga livestream with Neoseeker staff continues at 3:30 PM Pacific, join us for more vikings
Have you grabbed The Banner Saga yet? Stoic's strategy RPG is certainly winning high marks, and... posted Jan 15, 14 3:23pm
Today, The Banner Saga is officially out for the masses. Yes, this Kickstarter-funded game has... posted Jan 14, 14 3:01pm
The Banner Saga is just over a month from release, and pre-orders begin today. Stoic definitely... posted Dec 17, 13 2:13pm
[image2 width=650 height=224] Update: Okay, so we doubted whether Stoic would be able to... posted Apr 19, 12 3:09pm
Stoic, the studio of former BioWare devs is now planning to release its viking-themed RPG The... posted Feb 19, 13 6:19pm
Well, this is exciting. Stoic today released the first gameplay video to their upcoming viking... posted Dec 05, 13 7:32pm
So many people have been eagerly awaiting more news on Stoic Studio's The Banner Saga. Well,... posted Nov 08, 13 8:03pm
In their most recent newsletter, Stoic offered up another massive update on The Banner Saga's progress. Project... posted Feb 04, 13 11:42am